Headlines attract attention. Headlines generate interest. The time spent writing headlines can pay you back many times over.
Do you have a product or service to sell? How do you attract new customers, clients, prospects, leads or patients?
Most likely you attract them through the written word in some sort of advertising, articles, or press release. In each case you need a headline.
In fact, every printed document you publish should have a headline on it. Yes, even including your business card, if you have one!
So, what should go in your headline? Below are six headline ideas that have proved profitable in the past. Remember the goal of the headline is to stop your reader dead in their tracks and get them to read further in to your sales copy.
1). Answer the question, "What's In It For Me?"
Offer the reader a big benefit or promise if they continue reading. Here are a few examples:
- The Secret of Making People Like You
- Who Else Wants A Screen Star Figure?
- You Can Laugh At Money Worries - If You Follow This Simple Plan
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- Discover The Fortune That Lies Hidden In Your Salary
The promise can be either explicit or implied, but it must be clear to the reader.
2). Tightly target your headlines.
Don't write your headline to everyone. A headline written to everyone in reality is written to no one. Grab the attention of a very specific target audience by mentioning them by name. Here are some examples of tightly targeted headlines.
3). Do you have somethine new and exciting to offer?
- Debt Got You Down? You Can Laugh At Money Worries - If You Follow This Simple Plan!
- To People Who Want To Write - But Can't Get Started!
- To Men Who Want TO Quit Work Someday!
- For the Woman Who Is older Than She Looks!
- CAR Owners ... Save ONE GALLON OF GAS In Every TEN!
- GIRLS...Want Quick CURLS?
- Attention Small Business Owners: Why Doesn't Your Advertising Work? Finally, You Can Stop Wasting Good Money On Useless Advertising! FREE Report Reveals How To Get More Customers In A Month Than You Now Get All Year - Guaranteed! Call 1-877-232-9362, Toll-Free, 24 hr., For FREE Recorded Message Now!
Try writing headlines like these:
4) Got a quick and easy solution to a problem?
- New Cake-Improver Gets You Compliments Galore!
- Great New Discovery Kills Kitchen Odors Quick! - Makes Indoor Air "Country Fresh"
- Announcing... The New Edition Of The Encyclopedia That Makes It Fun To Learn Things!
- Announcing The New FORD CARS For 2006
- Breakthrough Money-Making Secrets That Sex Sites Do Not Want You to Find Out About - Uncovered And Revealed Inside!
- Breakthrough Internet Marketing Group Uncovers The Secrets To Getting Rich On The Web Using Simple Math Strategies!
People are always looking for faster and easier ways to do things, so let them know.
5) Ask a question, especially one that can't be answered by "yes" or "no."
- Headline Creator Pro Software Generates 100 Winning Headlines Quickly With Push-Button Ease!
- PLAY GUITAR In 7 Days Or Money Back [Note: Quick and easy is implied]
- Hands That Look Lovelier In 24 Hours - Or Your Money Back
- How I Improved My Memory In One Evening
- How A New Kind Of Clay Improved My Complexion In 30 Minutes
- Here's a Quick Way to Break Up a Cold.
- How To Take Out Stains... Just Follow These Easy Directions
- Here's What to Do to Get Rid of Pimples Fast
When a question can't be answered by "yes" or "no" the reader will generally continue reading to discover the answer. The human mind hates to be left wondering about the answer to a question. Pose a question and the human mind will work to find an answer.
6) Write a hook into your headline to get your reader to continue reading.
- Can You Talk About BOOKS With The Rest Of Them?
- How Much Is "Working Tension" Costing Your Company?
- Do You Make These Mistakes In English?
- Five Familiar Skin Troubles - Which Do You Want To Overcome?
- Which Of These $2.50 to $5.00 Best Sellers Do You Want For Only $1.00 Each?
- Who Ever Heard Of A Woman Losing Weight - And Enjoying 3 Delicious Meals At The Same Time?
- Whose Fault When Children Disobey?
- Can You Pass This Money Test?
7) Put a guarantee in your headline to increase trust.
- WARNING: Don't Pay For Another Ad Until You Read This Message!
- WARNING: Don't Join An Affiliate Program That Doesn't Meet The Following Criteria!
- Using A Lawyer May Be Dangerous To Your Wealth!
- The Truth About Getting Rich!
- The Most Expensive Mistake Of Your Life!
- How The Next NINETY Days Can Change Your LIFE!
- Guaranteed To Go Through Ice, Mud or Snow - Or We Pay The Tow!
- Hands That Look Lovelier In 24 Hours - Or Your Money Back!
- PLAY GUITAR In 7 Days Or Money Back!
- Hot Fresh Pizza Delivered Right To Your Door In 30 Minutes or Less - Guaranteed!
Well, there you have them, seven powerful tips for creating headlines that will boost you sales. Give them a try and watch your profits soar!
Copyright © 2005
George Dodge is the webmaster of http://www.Headline-Creator-Pro.com where you can get your own copy of a headline generator software, that enables you to generate catchy headlines quickly with push button ease. So if you are tired of writing headlines the old fashioned way, save time and relieve the pain of headline writing with Headline Creator Pro and create 100 headline ideas in mere seconds.