Drivers often neglect exhaust systems when upgrading there automobile, although they play an important role in the way a car drives. A good exhaust system is an excellent sound insulator and it also purifies the gases coming out of the engine. Another importance of the exhaust system is that it helps the engine develop more power by eliminating the unneeded gases. There are several parts that make up the exhaust system, such as the intake, the manifold, the exhaust manifold and the muffler. It is recommended that you purchase all the performance auto parts from the same manufacturer when available, as that will ensure maximum compatibility. When purchasing an exhaust set, you have a higher chance of knowing that the three main items characteristic to it (sound insulation, gas purification and improved engine output)
Exhaust system components
• The exhaust manifold converter is connected to the exhaust manifold and this innovation is becoming more and more popular, making classic catalytic converters (situated under the floor of the car) drop in popularity. The main role of the converter is to take the gases that are produced by the engine and transform them in less toxic gases that are more ecological.
• The middle part of the exhaust system has a set of tubes that absorb the vibrations produced by the engine. Without this part of the exhaust system, the engine vibrations would be transmitted directly to the body of the car, producing a discomforting sensation for both driver and passengers. The best exhaust systems have tubes that absorb all or most of the vibrations while also being durable enough to work well throughout the years.
• The exhaust manifold and the muffler connect through the front tube pipe. A “Y” shaped tube is present with cars that have a double exhaust manifold.
• The center part of the exhaust system is another muffler that contributes to the insulation of sound and further reduces gas toxicity through hair circulation. Sport cars often have special center and rear mufflers that are intentionally built so that they let out more sound and offer less insulation.
• The final part of the exhaust system is the rear muffler. From a technical point of view, this accessory has the role of dampening sound even further while also helping eliminate the gas after purification. This is the only part of the exhaust system that may also get visual upgrades, not only performance ones.
Copyright 2005 Jason Bibb
Owner of an online performace auto parts website, racingzilla makes sure you understand what you need to know when upgrading your automobile. For more information on performace auto parts and exhaust systems please visit http://www.racingzilla.com